United Support Network Paraprofessional Training Program
United Support Network (USN) is a community of students coming together to support each other through life’s challenges and connect around life experiences. The network provides weekly support groups for UIC students as well as monthly, fun, social, stress-busting events.
Students interested in becoming group leaders for USN’s support groups are required to complete PSCH 386: Crisis Counseling Techniques, which serves as the training program for UIC Paraprofessional Counselors.
- Get training and skills in basic counseling and crisis intervention techniques
- Learn valuable communication skills
- Build community as part of a campus organization
- Improve the quality of life for other UIC students
- Feel a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment helping others
- Expand your professional network with psychology faculty and mental health professionals at the Counseling Center
- Three credit hours for successful completion of PSCH 386
- Eligibility to apply for internship with U & I Care Team within the Dean of Student’s Office upon completion of PSCH 386
- Eligible for 1 academic credit upon successful completion of volunteer work over the course of a semester
- Make your resume stand out with practical experience and leadership
- Seasoned leaders can also develop mentoring skills by assisting new volunteers