Caroline Lavelock, Ph.D.
Interim Coordinator for Group Therapies
Staff Psychologist, Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, Certified Integrative Mental Health Professional
Areas of Special Interest Heading link
Group psychotherapy, family and relationship concerns, first-generation student experiences, trauma, cultural and religious identity concerns, depression, anxiety, OCD, identity and character development, and forgiveness.
Languages Spoken Heading link
Liaison To Heading link
- Academic Center for Excellence
- Religious Worker’s Association/Campus Ministries
- Commuter Student Resource Center
- Campus Housing (South Campus)
What to Expect When Working with Me Heading link
I like to work with students who are aspiring to a variety of goals in therapy, but a goal I often hold for all students is for the authentic expression of themselves and their identities to be safely seen and heard. I approach therapy by co-creating a safe space for this expression, and I usually focus on helping students explore patterns in their lives, especially emotional and relationship patterns. By building insight into how these patterns may contribute to distress, I empower students to determine for themselves if these patterns need to be changed and to explore how this might come to fruition in their lives, taking their cultural, emotional, and relational needs into account. I tend not to provide a lot of direct advice in therapy but rather facilitate the student’s own awareness of their needs and how to achieve them.
Education and Training Heading link
PhD in Counseling Psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University | 2016
Internship at University of Wisconsin-Madison Counseling Center | 2016
Post Doctoral Fellowship at University of Illinois-Chicago Counseling Center | 2017
What I Do at the Counseling Center Heading link
- I conduct initial consultations, provide brief individual therapy, crisis services, and outreach presentations. I also co-facilitate two interpersonal process groups.
- I supervise the clinical work of interns, externs, and postdoctoral fellows, and I provide group therapy training for interns.
- I coordinate group therapy services at the Counseling Center and facilitate group therapy consultation for staff and trainees.
- I update the Counseling Center’s website and our electronic medical system.