InTouch Crisis and Support Hotline Paraprofessional Program
How does InTouch work?
The InTouch Crisis and Support Hotline is a non-profit organization that offers its services to all members of the Chicagoland community. The Hotline is staffed with student volunteers from a wide variety of backgrounds and academic interests. Anybody interested in listening and helping people work through their issues or concerns is encouraged to apply. Previous experience in counseling or crisis work is not required.
Benefits of Becoming an InTouch Volunteer
The InTouch Hotline offers student volunteers many unique benefits such as:
- giving volunteers training and skills in basic counseling and crisis intervention techniques
- building valuable interpersonal communication skills that will benefit the volunteer well beyond the Hotline
- providing individuals with a role in which they can directly enhance and improve the quality of life for members of their own community
- giving student volunteers an opportunity for direct interaction with UIC students and faculty in the field of psychology
- offering three credit hours for successful completion of the skills for paraprofessionals course
- providing students practical experience with a well-recognized organization; such opportunities can enhance resumes and employment or graduate school prospects
- presenting an opportunity to continue your education and enhance your skill level through Hotline sponsored workshops and conferences
- offering an opportunity for seasoned volunteers to acquire supervision skills as they mentor new trainees